Monday, March 9, 2009

Number of Nonbelievers Rising in US


Recently on National Press there were several articles citing last week's U.S. Religious Landscape Survey from the Pew Forum and the 2006 University of Minnesota's research in religious beliefs. As per the articles these surveys and research suggests that the number of non believers is increasing steadily. As a non believer the news makes me very happy. I consider myself and agnostic. I do not believe in organized religion. I do believe that our perception of reality is limited. Like Plato would say in his allegory of the Cave: we think we understand the real world, but because we are trapped in our bodies we can see only shadows. I do have family members who are deeply religious and I respect their views. Either way. I am glad that more people are joining my ranks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have begun to question organized religion for a while now; and after watching Bill Maher's "Religulous" a few months back, I've become even more disinterested. Granted, I'm sure Mr. Maher put his own little spin on things with his documentary; but even still, it puts a question in one's mind. All that said, are there any books/articles/sites you can recommend that are, per se', spin-free?